CLEP - College Level Examination Program
The College Level Examination Program (CLEP) is a series of examinations which allow students to show their knowledge in a wide range of subjects.
The purpose of CLEP is to provide a means for students to receive college credit for learning acquired outside the traditional college classroom.
CLEP examinations are 90 minutes in duration. Exceptions include: College Composition (120 minutes) and College Composition Modular with essay (160 minutes).
All CLEP tests are offered by appointment. Students pay the CLEP testing fee directly to CLEP, as well as a non-refundable administration fee to Northeast.
If you have any questions regarding CLEP tests, please contact the Testing Center at (402) 844-7281 or (402) 844-7708. You can also email CLEP at email@example.com or go to www.collegeboard.org/clep.
- CLEP exam credits will be recorded as transfer credit on students' transcripts at the time they enroll at Northeast.
- Northeast only accepts CLEP subject examination scores; CLEP general examinations are not accepted.
- Official CLEP score reports should be sent to the Registrar's Office. Students can request official score reports by contacting The College Board at www.collegeboard.org/clep.
- CLEP credit may not be counted as part of the class load for financial aid purposes or extracurricular scholarship eligibility.
- Students must successfully complete a minimum of 25% of the credit hours required for the degree, diploma, or certification at Northeast.
- The maximum CLEP hours recorded on a Northeast transcript is 24 credit hours.
- Northeast has a list of recognized CLEP exams that it accepts for credit. Students must verify with the Registrar's Office that the exam they take will apply to their program of study.
- Students are strongly encouraged to consult with an advisor prior to taking a CLEP exam.
- Every institution establishes its own policies regarding CLEP. If students choose to transfer to another institution, they should be aware of the CLEP requirement, minimum scores, and credit awarded for CLEP exams.
- Credits earned initially by passing a CLEP exam will be deducted from cumulative credit earned if a student subsequently enrolls in and completes a college-level course that is similar in content to the subject matter covered by the CLEP exam.
- Northeast reserves the right to revise this policy without notice.
- Credits are awarded for CLEP exams according to the policy in effect at the time of the CLEP transcript.
- Students can take two CLEP exams on any given exam date.
- Students may not repeat the same CLEP exam within three months of the initial testing date.
- CLEP has a standard passing score of 50 in all exams except in the foreign language exams. To receive 2 years of credit in Spanish, students must score 63 or above, or score 59 or above in French.
- All CLEP testing is computer-based. Students will receive an unofficial CLEP transcript upon completion of the exam. Exceptions include: College Composition with essay and College Composition Modular with essay.
- Students select the CLEP exam. If they are unaware of which CLEP exam is needed, they should contact their academic advisor or the Registrar's Office.
- Students must schedule an appointment to take the CLEP exam.
- The CLEP testing fee is paid directly to CLEP through its official CLEP website before the day of the test. Students must create a user profile and pre-pay the testing fee with a valid credit or debit card for the exam.
- Students will print their non-refundable testing voucher, which is valid for 6 months, and bring it to the Testing Center the day of the test.
- Students will pay a non-refundable administration fee to Northeast the day of the test.
Additional Information regarding the CLEP process:
Day of Exam RequirementsPlease bring the following items on the day of the CLEP exam:
- A current government-issued photo ID with signature
- A valid voucher ticket for each CLEP exam
- The non-refundable administration fee to Northeast
No one will be allowed to test without a valid photo ID, CLEP Voucher, and the receipt for the Northeast administration fee.
All test results are immediate except for the exams that require an essay. Please keep in mind that these test scores will take approximately 3-4 weeks to receive as CLEP grades the essay.
Northeast recognizes the following CLEP examinations:
|Composition and Literature|
|American Literature||50||6 hours||ENGL 2150, 2160|
|Analyzing & Interpreting Literature||50||3 hours||HUMANITIES|
|College Composition Modular without Essay||50||3 Hours||ENGL 1010|
|College French, Level 1||50||4 hours||FRENCH 1200|
|College French, Level 2||59||8 hours||FRENCH 1200, 1210|
|College Spanish, Level 1||50||4 hours||SPANISH 1200|
|College Spanish, Level 2||63||8 hours||SPANISH 1200, 1210|
|College Spanish w/ Writing, Level 1||50||4 hours||SPANISH 1200|
|College Spanish w/ Writing, Level 2||65||8 hours||SPANISH 1200, 1210|
|Science and Math|
|College Algebra||50||3 hours||MATH 1150|
|Pre-Calculus||50||3 hours||MATH 1150|
|Calculus||50||5 hours||MATH 1600|
|History and Social Sciences|
|American Government||50||3 hours||POLS 1000|
|History of the United States I||50||3 hours||HIST 2010|
|Early Colonization to 1877|
|History of the United States II||50||3 hours||HIST 2020|
|1865 to the Present|
|Human Growth and Development||50||3 hours||PSYC 2200|
|Introduction to Psychology||50||3 hours||PSYC 1810|
|Introduction to Sociology||50||3 hours||SOCI 1010|
|Principles of Macroeconomics||50||3 hours||ECON 2110|
|Principles of Microeconomics||50||3 hours||ECON 2120|
|Western Civilization I||50||3 hours||HIST 1030|
|Western Civilization II||50||3 hours||HIST 1040|
|Information System||50||3 hours||INFO 1010 or 1020|
|Introductory Business Law||50||3 hours||BSAD 2700|
|Principles of Management||50||3 hours||BSAD 2540|
|Principles of Marketing||50||3 hours||BSAD 2520|
The CLEP program has a policy that states exams may not be retaken within a 90-day period. If the candidate retakes the exam during this period, the administration is considered invalid, the score is cancelled, and exam fees are forfeited.
Send appeals to:
P.O. BOX 6600
Princeton, NJ 08541-6600
Phone: (800) 257-9558
Fax: (609) 771-7088
Military service members whose exams are funded by the Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES) may not repeat an examination of the same title within a 90-day period under any circumstance.
For more information, contact CLEP Services at (800) 257-9558 or firstname.lastname@example.org.