Skip to main content

Counseling Services

How to refer to Counseling Services

  • Bring it up. Give the student your specific reason(s) for making a referral. It helps to present counseling as a positive experience that can reduce stress and pressure and enhance academic performance. You can de-stigmatize the counseling process by assuring the individual that many students use the services of the Student Health and Counseling Office over the course of their college years and that this is an appropriate way to take care of oneself. In conversation, bring up the possibility of referral by saying something like, "Have you thought about seeing the counselor on campus about this?" Let them know that counseling is a free and confidential service.
  • Make the call. Offer support in making an appointment. Some students may want you to make the initial call for them (call Gina Krysl at (402) 844-7277) or accompany them to the Student Health and Counseling Office in Union 73 office 215. Assure the student of confidentiality and say something like: "John Doe is here with me and would like to come over and talk with the counselor."
  • Follow up. We recommend that you follow up with the student within a day or two to see whether they kept their appointment with the Counselor. If necessary, a "Release of Information" may be obtained to allow you and the counselor to discuss other ways in which you might be helpful.

What do you do in case of an emergency?

If you become aware that a student is an imminent threat to him/herself or to others, contact Campus Security at (402) 841-5163 immediately. Call 911 if the student is violent or out of control.

For After-Hour Emergencies, Contact:

CARE LINE 24/7 toll free crisis care line (888) 370-7003


If you are unsure about whether or not to refer a student for counseling, or if you would find it helpful to discuss the behavior of a student that concerns you, please feel free to consult with the Counselor.