- Play will be 6 on 6 - A minimum of 4 is required to start the game.
- No substitutions will be allowed once a game has started.
- Play continues until all players on one team are out.
- Matches are played best-of-five.
- There is a time limit of 45 minutes. If the match has not concluded by then, then the team that is ahead will be declared the winner.
- All players must wear non-marking rubber-soled athletic shoes
- Game time is forfeit time, if your team is not there at your scheduled time you will forfeit.
- Team will switch ends of the court between every game.
The objective of dodgeball is to eliminate all players of the opposing team by throwing game balls and hitting the opposing player below the shoulders on the fly.
Starting a Game
Each team starts on the baseline with the balls evenly spread on the center line at the beginning of each game. It is a sprint to get the balls at the center line on the Refs whistle. There is a five (5) second grace period after the initial rush before balls can be thrown.
Play begins on the referees signal of “Go” and “Dodge” after the five (5) second grace period after the initial rush.
Eliminating the Opposing Players
A player is out if :
- They throw a ball that is caught by the other team.
- They get hit by a ball thrown by the other team. (If the ball does bounce off an opposing player and is then caught the thrower will then be out. This is true even if a different player catches the ball. However, if the ball bounces off another ball, the ball is dead). Players may use the ball to block; however, if the ball is knocked out of their hand while blocking, they will be out.
- They hit another player above the shoulders.
- They cross the center line.
A player is NOT out if :
- Their ball is caught off the wall or ceiling.
- They get hit above the shoulders.
Out of Bounds
A ball that hit any wall, hoop, bleacher, or ceiling is considered dead and is not back in play until someone has picked up the balls and throws it at an opponent.
The center line is the off-sides line. If any part of your foot or body touches the center line, you will be declared out and thrown ball will be dead.
No player can hold the ball for longer than 5 seconds. Penalty- roll the ball gently to the other team. The REF is responsible for calling the stall count. For example: Stall 1, Stall 2, Stall 3…Stall 5. Then at this point the player must roll the ball over or is out.
Players are expected to be honest and take themselves out when the time comes. Once a player is out, they must stand on the sideline in order they were out. The next in line come in if a ball is caught.
The short line is the center line for the dodgeball tournament.
How to Sign Up
Signing up is easy. Use our IMLeagues app to register and join a team. If you don't have a team, you can sign up as a free agent.