Northeast Nebraska Innovation Hub
The Governor and the state legislature approved the use of American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) funds for community college workforce development projects intended to help the state recover from the pandemic. Northeast's allocation of $10 million will be utilized primarily for two projects: The Northeast Nebraska Innovation Hub and Fabrication Lab and for the South Sioux City Workforce Training Center.
These projects support our region's small businesses and are aimed at many of the industries most negatively impacted by the pandemic. The college plans to utilize grant funds, ARPA dollars and private contributions to complete these projects. These projects are intended to begin in early 2023 and be completed by 2025.
This Northeast Nebraska Innovation Hub will contain a fabrication lab, collaboration spaces and office space in downtown Norfolk.
Through this membership-based facility, it will:
- provide workforce and customized training lab space,
- build extra-curricular activities for middle and high school students,
- increase new business ventures,
- promote connections to the Innovation Hub on the University of Nebraska-Lincoln campus, funders through the Invest Nebraska network, and entrepreneurship programming through Northeast.
Who will be involved?
- Regional Employers
- Area Economic Development
- Area School Districts
- Invest Nebraska/Nebraska Combine
- College and University Partners
The Northeast Nebraska Innovation Hub will feature:
- A library of resources on a variety of fabrication subjects.
- A rapid prototyping/robotics lab to introduce automation and provide an opportunity to utilize robotics and automation to enhance processes without negatively impacting current production activities.
- An automation/electrical studio to learn basic industrial maintenance, including electrical, motor control and PLC work.
- A fully functional metals shop to bring ideas to life, including a laser cutter for fine detail work.
- A wood shop with tools necessary to build and construct projects.
- Collaboration and classroom space to share ideas and learn in a community atmosphere.
- Space for robotics activities and competitions of all ages.