Community College Gap Assistance Program
By the year 2020, 71% of Nebraska jobs will require some type of postsecondary education.*
The Community College Gap Assistance Program was created to address this reality and prepare for the pending shortage of skilled and educated employees by offering financial aid to community college students taking non-credit courses that could lead to jobs in high-need fields.
The Gap Program creates opportunities for low-income students who would not be eligible for federal financial aid because they are not enrolled in courses for credit that lead directly to a degree.
Gap Assistance Programs at Northeast
The programs currently available at Northeast Community College that qualify for Gap Assistance are listed with additional programs to be added soon.
- 24-Hour Hazwoper
- CDL Training (56 hours)**
- CDL Training with Transport Quality Assurance Certification (60 hours)**
- EMT I and EMT II
- Gas Metal (Mig) and Flux Cored Arc Welding
- Healthcare Aide
- Introduction to Drafting
- Local Substitute Teacher
- Manufacturing Bootcamp
- Manufacturing Maintenance
- Manufacturing Maintenance - Mechanical Pathway
- Manufacturing Maintenance - Electrical & Instrumentation Pathway
- Medication Aide
- Nurse Aid
- OSHA 30 Hour for General Industry
- Precision Measurement
- Professional Truck Driving (240 hours)**
Low-income students who comply with financial requirements will receive grants that will pay for expenses directly related to the assessment, training, and testing associated with Gap eligible and approved programs.
The following are examples of expenses covered:
- Full/Partial Tuition
- Required Books/Equipment - welding jacket, steel-toed boots
- Industry Testing Fees - certification exam
Eligibility and Application
To qualify for Gap Assistance, applicants must:
- have a family income at or below 250% of federal poverty guidelines (this would include a spouse's income if the applicant is married)
- be a resident of Nebraska
- be a citizen of the United States or a qualified alien under the federal Immigration and Nationality Act
Steps to Apply
To apply for Gap Assistance, please complete the following steps:
- Complete the Gap Application
- Provide a copy of most recent 1040 tax document. If you are married, this should be a joint form. If it is not a joint form a 1040 tax document for both applicant and spouse are required.
- Provide a copy of most recent pay stub(s). If married, include copy(s) of pay stubs for your spouse as well.
- Mail paperwork to:
Northeast Community College
Attn: Amy Kaiser
PO Box 469
Norfolk, NE 6870-0469
The following are program requirements for all Gap programs. Depending on the program you enroll in, there may be additional requirements.
- Maintain regular contact with the instructor of your program throughout the course
- Sign necessary releases to provide relevant information to college faculty, if applicable
- Attend all class sessions
- Complete surveys when requested by Northeast Community College
For More Information:
For more information on the Community College Gap Assistance Program visit: ccpe.nebraska.gov/gap
** Students need to include copies of the documents below if you currently have them:
- DOT physical examination
- DOT drug screen
- Valid CDL learner’s permit
- Driving record for the past three (3) years