Event Cancellations & Student Services Information

Information about student services and the events that have been canceled or postponed at Northeast.

View Event & Student Services Info


Centers and Organizations

Health Departments

Other Information

Coronavirus (COVID-19) FAQs

As Northeast responds to coronavirus (COVID-19), we understand there are and will be many questions. In addition to the questions and answers given below, please check our recent announcements for the latest information.

General FAQs

Are there restrictions for visitors to be on a Northeast campus?

Yes. We will continue to work with students and families, but the buildings are closed. Call 402-371-2020 to reach an office at Northeast.

Will there be any activities or events on campus through the end of the semester?

Activities and events at all Northeast campuses have been cancelled through the end of the spring 2020 term.

Will commencement be held as scheduled?

This year's ceremony will move to a virtual format. The first airing of the ceremony to celebrate the graduates and their accomplishments will be the same date and time of the original ceremony – Saturday, May 16, at 10 a.m. It will air on the Northeast TV Channel KHWK – cable Channel 20 off campus, and will be livestreamed at https://team1sports.com/northeastcc/. After that date, the ceremony will be available on demand on the Northeast YouTube Channel. Graduates are being given the opportunity to walk in any future ceremony since this event was not able to take place in person.

How is decision-making about the Northeast response to the COVID-19 virus situation being made?

Northeast has initiated our incident command team and multiple operation response teams that are gathering information and making decisions based on recommendations from the Logan Elkhorn Valley Public Health District, State of Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. All decisions are based on recommendations to minimize the risk of exposure to COVID-19 to students, faculty, staff and our communities.

What is the status of student activities on and off campus?

All Northeast activities and events at all locations have been suspended through the end of the spring term. Students are encouraged to stay connected to all Student Activities social media.

Are Northeast athletics teams able to practice and compete?

All spring athletic practices and competitions have been cancelled.

Student FAQs

How do I drop or withdraw from a class?

The deadline to withdraw from a spring semester course, including second eight-week courses, has been extended to Wednesday, May 13. First, check with your advisor (available through your My Apps account in DegreeWorks) or email advising@northeast.edu. Send an email from your preferred email (that you have on file with Northeast) to admissionsandregistration@northeast.edu. The email should include your name, student ID, course name, and course registration number (CRN), and a statement that you would like to drop or withdraw from the noted course(s) and why. You can also download a drop form, complete the form, and then email the scanned form or a picture of the form from your preferred email address. If there are questions, contact Admissions & Registration at 402-844-7265. Note: Your transcript will be noted with a “W” for courses withdrawn from at this point in the semester. Withdrawing from classes can impact a number of important things like financial aid, transferability of classes, athletic eligibility, and graduation plans so be sure to talk with your advisor before withdrawing from a course.

Can I change my grade from a “C” to a “P” and take a Pass and not harm my GPA?

Yes. An option being provided this spring semester to students is the ability to change any final grade of “A”, “B” or “C” to a letter grade of “P”, indicating Pass. By changing your grade to a “P”, it will not be calculated in your GPA. Only grades of “C” or higher can be considered for the Pass option. Students have until May 29 to select the option of Pass for one or more of your courses. To make this grade change request, students must reach out to advising@northeast.edu to discuss the Pass option with an advisor. Note: Final grades and dropping classes can impact a number of important things like GPA, academic standing, financial aid, transferability of classes, athletic eligibility, and graduation plans.

I am an enrolled student and struggling financially due to COVID-19, what should I do?

Northeast has been allocated funds through the federal CARES Act to award emergency grants to undergraduate students for unexpected expenses as a result of COVID-19. These funds can be used to cover a student’s expenses such as food, housing, child care, health care, technology-related expenses, and transportation. Funds are currently being provided on a first-come, first-served basis, and some qualifications do apply. Complete the Request Assistance Form if you are in need of financial support.

How do I sell my textbooks that I no longer need?

Current buyback is being offered online at the college store. Add your ISBN from the back of your textbook to the cart, print off a pre-paid shipping label, package it, and ship back. A check will be mailed to you for the amount of the buyback price of the book. Additional buyback will be offered daily in-store once operations resume.

How do I return my Spring 2020 rental textbooks?

Spring rental returns may be mailed back to the Hawks Shop or they may be dropped off in a bag at the rental return box outside the library on the Norfolk campus. Please include your name and student ID when returning textbooks. All rental books will have a rental label on the back of the book. Please only return rental books.

Return by mail to:
Northeast Hawks Shop
%Rental Return
801 E. Benjamin Ave.
Norfolk, NE 68701

How do I purchase my summer textbooks?

Summer textbook are available now at https://northeast.verbacompare.com/ All textbooks are shipped via UPS and an email will be sent with tracking information once the order has shipped. A free shipping code is currently available on the Hawks Shop website for all orders over $50.00

Due to campus closure and the need to purchase textbooks and supplies online for summer classes, below are the revised dates for summer financial aid textbook vouchers:

Payment Period First date to charge booksLast date to charge books
Pre Session05-11-202005-19-2020
June Session05-25-202006-02-2020
July Session06-29-202007-07-2020

How do I register for summer and fall classes?

Registration for summer classes opened on Monday, April 6. Registration for fall classes opened on Tuesday, April 14. Students that are freshman status must schedule an appointment with their advisor prior to registering. Email advising@northeast.edu for assistance.

Are tutors still available to assist students?

Yes. Tutoring, Writers’ Clinic, and Supplemental Instruction will be provided to students utilizing video conferencing. You can reach out to your tutor directly or request a tutor. Your instructor will have information about drop-in tutoring or Supplemental Instruction if it is available for your course. Schedule an online Writers’ Clinic appointment as well. Visit northeast.edu/Support-Services/Academic-Support/ for more information.

Will I get a refund if I drop a full-term, spring semester course now?

No. Refunds are only provided during the first four weeks of a full term course. Refunds are not being issued due to dropping for reasons related to COVID-19 because courses are continuing an online format.

Can students meet on campus in small groups of less than 10 people for study and collaboration sessions?

No. Northeast is trying to limit exposure to the coronavirus for the college community. Students are to complete work through their Canvas platform and refrain from meeting in groups.

Employee FAQs

Northeast Community College Employees (Administration, Faculty, Staff)
Last Updated: March 26, 2020 at 5:50 p.m.

President Trump recently signed into law, the Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA), how does it protect me as an employee?

The FFCRA requires certain employers to provide their employees with paid sick leave and expanded family and medical leave for specified reasons related to COVID-19. The provisions apply from April 1, 2020 through December 31, 2020. An employee is entitled to take leave related to COVID-19 if the employee is unable to work, including unable to work remotely, because the employee:

  1. Is subject to a Federal, State, or local quarantine or isolation order related to COVID-19;
  2. Has been advised by a health care provider to self-quarantine related to COVID-19;
  3. Is experiencing COVID-19 symptoms and is seeking a medical diagnosis;
  4. Is caring for an individual subject to an order described in (1) or self-quarantine as described in (2);
  5. Is caring for his or her child whose school or place of care is closed (or childcare provider is unavailable) due to COVID-19 related reasons; or
  6. Is experiencing any other substantially similar condition specified by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

What types of leave, specific to COVID-19, are available during this time?

  • Leave available from 3-23-20 thru 3-31-20 is Leave – Communicable Disease
  • Leaves available from 4-1-20 thru 12-31-20 include:
    • Sick Leave FMLA Communicable Disease (Employee is ill or quarantined due to COVID-19)
      • Employees who are working remotely and become ill, may also submit the FMLA request form
    • Emergency Leave FMLA Communicable Disease (To care for another individual who is ill and/or to care for children at home due to school/daycare closures)
      • Emergency Leave requires a comment on timesheet/leave report regarding reason, i.e. sick child or other immediate family member, no childcare, school closed, etc.
    • Leave Communicable Disease (Essential functions of their position cannot be conducted remotely and/or there are no scheduled hours to be worked on-site due to COVID-19) AND, the above two leave codes do not apply to them
      • Use of this leave code will not affect the annual leave/personal leave/compensatory time balance of the employee
      • Supervisors: FMLA leave request forms are not applicable and shouldn’t be submitted by your employees for this specific paid leave; please monitor your employees’ timesheets/leave reports accordingly
      • Paid Leave Codes should only be documented on timesheets/leave reports based on the normal working schedule for the employee

Is my job protected?

An employee who needs to use leave – even up to 12 weeks, has a job to return to – this includes all employees in the following categories: full-time, part-time, adjunct faculty, new employees and student workers.

What should I do if I have an underlying health condition, or I am immunosuppressed and want to, or am advised by my healthcare provider to stay home?

Employees’ health is our top priority! Employees should consult with their health care provider and follow the provider’s directive.

Employees should contact their supervisor to coordinate leave and/or telecommuting options.

I do not have an underlying health condition, but I want to avoid possible exposure/infection. Do I have telecommuting options?

Employees’ health and safety are the top priority at Northeast.

If a healthy employee chooses to work from home to avoid possible exposure, they are expected to make arrangements with their supervisor.

Supervisors have the right to approve or deny an employee’s request to work remotely. Working from home may not be applicable in all circumstances due to the nature of the job, the equipment required, or for other reasons determined by the supervisor.

The supervisor will work closely with their employee regarding their expectations for the employee’s work schedule, tasks, deadlines, and communication expectations (available by email, text, phone) during the period of telecommuting.

I am anxious about the risk of being exposed to this virus. Are resources available to help me deal with this concern?

We realize this is a time of uncertainty and concern, which results in increased stress. We encourage you to take care of yourself and utilize resources we have available. The Employee Assistance Program through Best Care has counselors available to assist employees. Contact information is 402-354-8000; https://BestCareEAP.org. The COVID Counseling Help Line is 800-801-4182.

What should I do if I develop symptoms consistent with COVID-19?

To limit the potential for exposure to others, if an employee has a fever greater than 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit and a cough, the employee should not come to work and should take these actions:

  • Notify your supervisor and the HR Office that you are ill and will be taking sick time
  • Isolate yourself for 14 days to prevent exposing others
  • Seek medical advice from your primary care provider (please call ahead, or utilize telehealth options).

What should I do if I think I have been exposed to, or infected with COVID-19?

Alert your healthcare provider immediately to inform them regarding if you have been exposed to someone with the virus and if you have signs/symptoms of the infection.

Can I be sent home if I am sick? Only for flu-related illnesses? What if I don’t think I have a flu-related illness?

Northeast is required to maintain a safe and healthy environment and has broad discretion over when and where an employee is to work. For this reason, employees may be sent home if they are sick.

Of greatest concern is an employee with a fever greater than 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit, and who exhibits cough and respiratory symptoms; this employee is likely to be sent home. Other symptoms (coughing, sneezing) may also be of concern.

To determine whether someone has the flu, or flu-related illness, supervisors will follow the appropriate guidelines from the CDC.

I am on the Northeast employee health plan. Are there any changes to coverage, or direction I need to know related to COVID-19?

Please consult the BC/BS link on the COVID-19 resources section of the Northeast.edu website.

A member of my household is ill. Should I come to work?

Please stay home until you can confirm with your healthcare provider that the member of your household is no longer contagious. Additionally, you must be free of any signs/symptoms of illness upon your return to the workplace.

What if I’m sick when working from home?

Employees who are unable to work due to illness should utilize sick time and report their absence to their supervisor. Working from home is not intended to be used in place of sick time when an employee is ill. Please work closely with your supervisor regarding expectations for reporting time off and/or options for handling work responsibilities while you are ill.

When can I return to work/remote work, if I have had COVID-19?

Employees who have been home because they screened positive for COVID-19, or who tested positive to COVID-19 can return to work after these things have happened:

  • They have had no fever for a least 72 hours (that is three full days of no fever without the use of medicine that reduces fever) AND
  • Other symptoms have improved (for example, their cough or shortness of breath have improved) AND
  • At least 14 days have passed since their symptoms first appeared.
  • The employee will be provided specific instructions by their healthcare provider and local public health clinicians based on the most current CDC and Nebraska PHD guidance.
  • Please be mindful that this guidance continues to evolve and may change several times during the course of the upcoming weeks and months.
  • This guidance is applicable for employees working remotely or on College premises.

When can I return to work/remote work, if I have had Coronavirus-like symptoms?

Employees who have been home because they have health symptoms similar to Coronavirus symptoms, but are not tested and/or formally diagnosed as such, can return to work after these things have happened:

  • They have had no fever for a last 72 hours (that is three full days of no fever without the use of medicine that reduces fever) AND
  • Other symptoms have improved (for example, their cough or runny nose has improved) AND
  • At least 7 days have passed since their symptoms first appeared
  • Please be mindful that this guidance continues to evolve and may change several times during the course of the upcoming weeks and months.
  • This guidance is applicable for employees working remotely or on College premises.

Can my supervisor make a temporary change to my job assignments so that the College can continue the essential functions during a communicable disease outbreak?

Yes, your supervisor has the right to temporarily reassign employees to work outside of their usual responsibilities to the extent they are qualified and can safely perform the work. While this situation may not be ideal, it is important that we are all willing to adjust our “normal” work in the event of an emergency. The College will notify employees who are designated to perform essential functions, as well as when and where they should report to work.

Can my supervisor make a temporary change to my assigned shift and/or assigned work schedule during a communicable disease outbreak?

Yes, your supervisor may temporarily adjust employees’ work schedules to meet operational demands, based on business needs and circumstances. These adjustments may be made on a case-by-case basis depending upon operational considerations. Your supervisor will work closely with you to discuss any changes to your assigned work schedule and any questions or concerns you may have with the changes.

Can my supervisor require me to work or remain at work during a public health emergency?

The College will work to balance the preferences of employees with guidance from the CDC and the Nebraska PHD, and the need to maintain business continuity. If an employee is unable to report to work as scheduled due to illness, or injury, the supervisor should follow the standard procedure regarding medical documentation.