Advisement and Counseling

Providing a supportive environment for students.

Advisement and Counseling


We are committed to assisting you meet your educational and career goals. Once enrolled, you will be assigned a Faculty Advisor to help guide you through class selections and development of a plan to graduate in the time frame you wish. General Advisors are also available in the Advising & Academic Support Center to help you with educational planning, career development and academic success.

If you are undecided about your program of study, have questions about transferring, need help selecting classes or have questions about resources at Northeast, you can call (402) 844-7719, stop by College Welcome Center 1284 or email to schedule an appointment.


We offer free short-term counseling to any student enrolled in six credits or more at Northeast Community College. Student referrals from peers, faculty or staff are encouraged and welcomed. Students may also be referred to outside agencies if appropriate.

The personal counseling staff is licensed and follows the legal and ethical guidelines of the National Association of Social Workers and the National Board for Certified Counselors for professional behavior and confidentiality.

Appointments can be made by visiting the College Welcome Center Admissions office or calling (402) 844-7277 anytime from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Change of Major or Concentration

A student may change his/her major, change his/her concentration, or add a new major by completing an "Add or Change of Major Form". This form must be signed by the student and either a general advisor from the Academic Advisement Center, or his/her designee. The general advisor will review things to consider prior to initiating the change in major or concentration, including financial aid and transfer issues. The form must be filled our completely, including a new tentative graduation date.

The completed "Add or Change of Major Form" must be processed in the Registrar's Office. If the student is requesting a change to a limited enrollment program major, the student must check with the Admissions Office regarding the availability of space in the program. Note: Changing one's major to a limited enrollment program major does not guarantee a space in the program.

To start the process, schedule an appointment with the Academic Advisement Center General Advisors by visiting the receptionist in the College Welcome Center, or by calling (402) 844-7719.