The steps below are intended to be a general resource for students interested in using Department of Veteran Affairs, VA, educational benefits at Northeast. They are not intended to take the place of contacting the Registrar's office.
Student’s eligible for Chapter 31 or who are using benefits from a parent or spouse will need to contact the Registrar's Office for specific information. Some of the steps below will not apply to you.
1. Know which Chapter of benefits you will use. If you are unsure, you may contact the VA. If you will be making a Chapter change, you will need to complete the VONapp to process this change. You will find helpful information on the VA website and eBenefits or by contacting the VA at 1-888-GI Bill 1. If you will NOT be changing Chapters, DO NOT COMPLETE THE VONapp.
A change to Chapter 33 is irrevocable. Contact the VA, 1-888-GI Bill 1, for questions involving your specific circumstance and the decision that is best for you.
2. Apply to change the location of your benefits through the VA website (VONAPP).
You will NOT complete the VONapp as you did when you first applied. You will
select VA Form 22-1995, Request for Change of Program or Place of Training. (If
you are a spouse or child using the benefits of an eligible veteran from Chapter
35 or Chapter 33, you will complete the Dependent Change of Program or Place of
Training, VA Form 22-5495). After you submit this form, please print a copy of
your confirmation number. The Registrar's Office will need this page.
3. Provide the Registrar’s Office with a copy of the confirmation number from
your 22-1995 or 22-5495. (See #2)
4. If you plan to use Tuition Assistance, visit with your unit about how to begin this process.
5. Apply for admission to Northeast.
6. Provide the Registrar’s Office with a Member 4 copy (see the lower right hand corner) of your DD214 (Member 4 Copy).
7. Request an official copy of your military transcripts be sent to Karen in the Registrar’s Office. These must come directly to our office from the military portal or through the US Mail.
8. Request an official transcript from any previous colleges you have attended. We will need an official transcript regardless as to your graduation status or your success in the courses for which you enrolled. If you enrolled, we need a transcript. See your specific college website for instructions on how to request an official transcript.
9. Visit with an advisor – Contact our Admissions department to schedule an appointment, 402.844.7260 or stop by the Admissions Department in the College Welcome Center.
10. Register for classes.
11. Request the Registrar’s Office review and certify your coursework by
Course Certification form. This form must be completed in every term that in
which you would like to use your benefit. If you do not complete this form, we
will assume that you do not want to use benefit in the term.
12. If you are Chapter 1606, 1607, or 30 remember to verify your school attendance each month (WAVE).
Certification by the Northeast School Certifying Official is no guarantee of
benefit payment to you or the school. The Department of Veterans Affairs makes
all financial and eligibility determinations.