Records and Registration

Veteran Support

Northeast proudly provides service to our veterans through the Registrars’ Office in the College Welcome Center. One full-time staff member and one part-time staff member are available to offer assistance to veteran students enrolled in or wishing to enroll in courses on our campus, online or at our Extended Campuses. Both staff members are employed by Northeast, not the Department of Veterans’ Affairs, (VA) and are centered on certifying your coursework with the VA.

Need Your Classes Certified?
It's easy to request certification as a veteran.

Northeast is steadfastly committed to educating our great nation's military veterans and their dependents.  A dedicated Veteran Lounge provides a comfortable spot for studying or socializing. The Student Veteran Organization (SVO) helps to ease the transition into college-life, as well as provide service opportunities with the community. Northeast also offers college credit for qualifying military experience, based on American Council on Education, (ACE) guidelines.

If you are serving/have served in the United States military or plan to use any military educational benefit, please contact the Registrar's office - Veteran Services at 402-844-7730 or 402-844-7259.

"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country
is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." – Theodore Roosevelt

Am I eligible for military educational benefits?

Eligibility information for Department of Veteran Affairs, VA, Educational benefits may be found on the, eBenefits, or by placing a phone call directly to the VA at 1-888-GI BILL 1. The VA also provides a helpful a GI Bill Comparison Tool and VA Education Programs Job Aid.

How do I start using VA military educational benefits at Northeast?

If you are new to using VA military educational benefits, or just new to Northeast, the following steps will guide you through using your benefits at Northeast.

1. Know your Chapter and eligibility. Before you move forward with the use of VA military educational benefits. It is important for you to know and understand your benefits.

  • If you plan to use only Tuition Assistance from your military branch or only State of Nebraska Military Educational Benefits, please contact the Registrar’s Office – Veteran Service for further instructions. Do not proceed with further steps in this site.
  • As you consider your benefits, it is important to note that a change to Chapter 33, Post-9/11 GI Bill, is irrevocable. Contact the VA, 1-888-GI Bill1, for questions involving your specific circumstances and the decision that is best for you.
  • If you are using Chapter 35, Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance (DEA), the Registrar’s Office – Veteran Services will need the veteran’s Social Security Number and the VA Payee Number associated with your benefit.

2. Have you previously used VA military educational benefits at Northeast?

  • If you have used your benefits at Northeast, and you have not used benefits at any other colleges since your enrollment at Northeast, please stop now and contact the Registrar's Office – Veteran Services for further instructions.
  • If you have used your benefits at another college since your enrollment at Northeast, proceed to step 3.

3. We need your transcript. You will need to request an official copy of your academic transcripts be sent to Northeast from any other colleges you have attended, even if you did not use VA military benefits while you attended that college.

Please have transcripts sent to:

Northeast Community College
Registrar’s Office
P.O. Box 469
801 East Benjamin Ave.
Norfolk, NE 68701

4. If you have served in the US military, we will need an official copy of your military transcripts.

5. Complete the VA military educational benefits application process. If you have not previously used VA military educational benefits or you have used them last at a college other than Northeast, the VA requires that you complete an application form. This application process (previously known as the VonApp) is question-driven and, based upon the answers you provide, will direct you through completion of the proper form. Near the center of the application process webpage, under "Ready to apply?" use the drop down for "Select Correct Form" to begin the process. When your form is completed and submitted you will receive a statement that contains your confirmation number. Make sure you print or make a note of the confirmation number. The Registrar's Office – Veteran Services will need that number.

6. We need confirmation of the application process. If you have received a Certificate of Eligibility, COE (or Letter of Eligibility, LOE) from the VA, please provide a copy to the Registrar’s Office – Veteran Services. If you recently completed the application process (step 3. above), please provide the confirmation number to the Registrar’s Office – Veteran Services, now and a copy of your COE or LOE when you receive it.

7. Contact the Registrar’s Office – Veteran Services, 402-844-7730 or 402-844-7259, to verify the need for a copy of your DD214. It is possible that this will not be needed.

8. Northeast processes.

  • Apply for Admission to Northeast
  • Visit with a Northeast advisor
  • Register for classes at Northeast
  • Request Certification of your VA military educational benefits. This must be done in every term for which you want to use any military educational benefit.
  • Carefully and frequently check your preferred email account (as noted in your My Northeast account for any correspondence about your VA military educational benefits.
  • Contact Northeast Community College Accounts Receivable Services to discuss the way your military benefits will impact your student account balance.

9. Are you using Tuition Assistance and/or any State of Nebraska Military Educational Benefits? If you plan to use tuition assistance from any branch or any State of Nebraska military educational benefit, the Registrar’s Office – Veteran Services will need a copy of any authorization or approvals.

10. If you use VA military educational benefits from Chapter 1606, 1607, or 30, remember to verify your school attendance at the end of each month (WAVE).

What do I do in Future Terms?

If you are a current student and have used VA military educational benefits at Northeast in the last term, your only step in future terms will be to complete the Request Certification.

Important information for students using military educational benefits

  • Your schedule will have a direct impact on your benefits. The School Certifying Official will review your schedule in light of your benefits before each certification or certification change. You are encouraged to visit with your advisor when creating your schedule, adding or dropping classes.

  • Changes to your schedule after the term begins may create a debt you will owe to the school or the Department of Veterans Affairs, VA.. Check out the resources for success dropdown below to view what is offered through Northeast. Contact the Department of Veteran Affairs, VA, for any debt questions that may arise.

  • If you are called to any kind of military leave, contact the Registrar's Office. We have a generous Military Call-up Procedure, and, if you qualify, we will work with you through the entire process. If you will miss classes for a military call-up for ANY AMOUNT of time, even if you do not qualify for our Military Call-up Policy, contact our office.

  • Don't forget to complete the Request Certification.

  • If you are eligible and would like to change chapters, please contact the Registrar's Office.

  • If you are Chapter 1606, 1607, or 30 remember to verify your school attendance each month (WAVE).

  • If you are or will be receiving any scholarship, please contact the Registrar's Office. Some scholarships will have a direct bearing on your VA benefits.

  • You may be eligible for Financial Aid while still using your VA benefits at Northeast. Please visit with the Financial Aid office located in the College Welcome Center, 402.844.7285 to discuss your eligibility.

  • Certification by the Northeast School Certifying Official is no guarantee of benefit payment to you or the school. The Department of Veterans Affairs makes all financial and eligibility determinations.

Military Transcripts

Northeast requires official transcripts that are sent directly from the military branch to the College by US mail or delivered electronically. After your application to Northeast is received, our Registrar will review your military transcripts to see if credit can be accepted at Northeast. It is possible for Northeast to accept credit that may not work toward your degree. After your transcript is processed, you will see any credits accepted in your DegreeWorks audit available in your My Northeast account.

Army, Navy, Marines or Coast Guard Air Force

Resources for Success

1. Visit with your instructor.

2. See your advisor. If you do not know your advisor, contact our Admissions department, 402.844.7260.

3. Ask about Academic Support, including Tutoring and Writers' Clinic, 402.844.7125.

4. Ask about Disability Services, 402.844.7343.

5. Be aware of the last day to withdraw from your class. After that date you will no longer be able to withdraw and you will receive the grade you have earned in the class at final grading. Visit with your instructor, advisor or the Registrar's Office to determine the last day to withdraw from any class in which you are struggling.

Tuition Assistance and State of Nebraska Educational Benefits

Armed Forces Tuition Assistance (TA) is a benefit paid to eligible members of the Army, Navy Marines, Air Force and Coast Guard. Each branch of service has its own criteria for eligibility. Typically, this money is paid directly to the school by the branch. If you are not familiar with TA, you may find this overview helpful.

Tuition Assistance is initiated and maintained by the student. Once courses are approved, the student must print and submit an authorization form to the College. Specific questions regarding TA should be directed to the unit or addressed through the contact information located on the following websites.

Nebraska National Guard State Tuition Assistance

Army Tuition Assistance information

Navy Navy Tuition Assistance information

Marine Tuition Assistance information

Air Force
Air Force Tuition Assistance information

Coast Guard
Coast Guard Tuition Assistance information

Tuition waiver or tuition credit programs are also offered by the State of Nebraska Department of Veterans Affairs. Eligibility and further information is detailed in the following links.

Helpful Links

VA Website

Submit a Question through the VA portal (also FAQ’s)

Have you signed up for eBenefits? It’s a central location for Veterans, Service Members, and their families to research, find, access, and manage their benefits and personal information with the VA.

Verify your school attendance (WAVE)

How to get a copy of your DD214 (Member 4 Copy) – Report of Separation
This site will give you instructions on how to obtain a new copy, if your copy is lost or misplaced.

U.S. Department of Education and Consumer Financial Protection Bureau College Tools

  • The College Scorecard is a planning tool and resource to assist prospective students and their families as they evaluate options in selecting a school.
  • The College Navigator is a consumer tool that provides school information to include tuition and fees, retention and graduation rates, use of financial aid, student loan default rates and features a cost calculator and school comparison tool.
  • The Financial Aid Shopping Sheet is a model aid award letter designed to simplify the information that prospective students receive about costs and financial aid so they can easily compare institutions and make informed decisions about where to attend school. If you have applied for Financial Aid, a personalized copy of the Federal Financial Aid Shopping Sheet is available through your MyNortheast account.
  • The "Paying For College" webpage can be used by prospective students to enter the names of up to three schools and receive detailed financial information on each one and to enter actual financial aid award information.

Approval and Associations

Northeast is approved to train veterans and eligible persons under benefits of Title 38, United States Code, by the Nebraska Department of Education.

If you have applied for Financial Aid, a personalized copy of the Federal Financial Aid Shopping Sheet is available through your MyNortheast account.

Thank you for the service you have provided for our country. Northeast believes you will find our college a great place to begin to fulfill your dreams. If we can be of assistance do not hesitate to contact us by phone, email or in-person in the College Welcome Center.

Karen Hoefler
Assistant Registrar

Phone: (402) 844-7730
Toll-Free: (800) 348-9033, Ext. 7730